The Light Novel Series is a "spin-off sequel" to Ojamajo Doremi that was first announced on September 5th through Kodansha Limited. It features the original work of Izumi Todo, with the story written by Midori Kuriyama and artwork by Yoshihiko Umakoshi. The novels come with illustrations, an interview with the voice actors and narration by Doremi.
Taking place 3 years after the events of Dokkan, the Ojamajos have grown up and are now in high school.
The possibility of an Anime Adaptation
The possibility of an anime adaptation has been a debated topic ever since the series was first announced. Many early rumors suggested that an anime adaptation would be released the following year, however, these turned out to be false as time went on.
With the release of the 8th novel, Toei producer Hiromi Seki expressed in an interview that she's wanted to make an anime adaptation for a while. However, she stated that the main issue preventing an anime is sales, revealing that there was a major fall in sales between the first two releases. If the sales for the series aren't high enough then the sponsors and higher-ups won't gather to fund the project. Hiromi concluded the interview by asking for everyone to show support.
Further news for an anime adaptation has yet to be heard...
- The art-style had been altered to closely resemble the art-style from Yoshihiko Umakoshi's more-recent works such as Casshern Sins and Heartcatch Precure.
- On the cover of the first 3 novels, each girl makes hand gesture for the books number. Doremi pointed (1), Hazuki made a peace sign (2), and Aiko made a peace sign on one hand and pointed with the other (3).
- However, Onpu on 17's cover broke the "finger count" the previous three had done.
- The ojamajo's high school uniforms mostly resemble the middle school uniforms they were shown wearing in earlier art, with some changes consisting of:
- Doremi gained a plaid skirt while her socks end below the knee and became blue. Her shoes are brown.
- Hazuki's uniform became lighter in color. The bow at her chest is thin, and her skirt is different.
- Aiko's uniform top was white instead of blue.
- Onpu's attire was given an entire rehaul in design. Consisting of a very pale cream-yellow top with green skirt and lining, white knee socks and a purple bow at her chest.
- Apparently, the Sharp Uniforms were the only apprentice uniforms not to return throughout the novel series.
- Intentionally the novels were made for an older audience in mind, for those who grew up with Ojamajo Doremi.
- On July 5th, 2019, Kodansha announced that volumes 4 through 9 would be reprinted to commemorate the franchise's 20th anniversary.
- http://lanove.kodansha.co.jp/official/doremi16/ - Official website for the Ojamajo Doremi light novel series.
- https://lightnovelswithmisachan.wordpress.com/ojamajo/ - Unofficial English translation by Misa-chan.